Murg Ka Salan
- Prep Time: 35-40 minutes
- Cook Time: 35-45 minutes
- Serves: 4
Try this recipe once. Just a few variations on the spices take you on a culinary journey through India.
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2½ lbs whole chicken, cut into 16-20 pieces
- ¼ cup mustard oil
- 4 black cardamoms, coarsely crushed
- 4 green cardamoms, coarsely crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into 3-4 pieces
- 2 bay leaves, whole
- 2-3 dried red chilies, whole
- 1¼ cups onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1½ tsp Thai green chilies, chopped (adjust according to taste)
- 1½ tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 Mix marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Add chicken and set aside for 30 minutes.
- 2 Heat oil in large pressure cooker or large thick bottom pan on medium high heat until smoky at 350˚F (175˚C).
- 3 Add first 5 spices. As they sputter, add onions. Sauté for 8-10 minutes on medium heat until translucent, stirring every 2 minutes.
- 4 Add ginger garlic paste. Sauté for 3-5 minutes on medium heat. Add green chilies. Stir.
- 5 Add tomatoes. Cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes until tomatoes melts and makes a loose paste.
- 6 Add marinated chicken with marinade. Stir well to coat. Cook on medium high for 8-10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes scrapping the sides and bottom.
- 7 Add ¾ cup (175 mL) water. Mix well. Cover with lid. Cook for 10 minutes. If using a pan add 1¼ cups (300 mL) water. Cover, simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes until cooked.
- 8 Turn off heat. Let rest for 15 minutes until pressure is released. Remove and garnish with cilantro.
- 9 Serve hot with naan, roti, paratha or steamed rice.
©/TM/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp.