- Prep Time: 20-25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Makes: 8
- Freezing: excellent
Be the first to rate this recipe
Kids love the soft, yet crispy layers. You can use that as an excuse for making some for yourself!
- 2½ cups (625 mL) Golden Temple® No. 1 Fine Durum Atta Flour + extra for rolling
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ghee or Crisco® Vegetable Oil + extra for rolling and pan frying
- 1 cup +2 tbsp (280 mL) milk, lukewarm
- Combine flour, salt and 1 tbsp (15 mL) ghee/oil in a large mixing bowl. Slowly add milk. Knead for 5 minutes to form soft dough. Cover with a damp cloth. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead well for 1-2 minutes. Divide into 8 parts. Roll each into a ball.
- Dust rolling board with flour. Roll dough ball into thin circle 4½ -5” (11.5-12.7 cm) wide. Brush 1 tsp (5 mL) oil on surface. Sprinkle 1 tsp (5 mL) flour. Lift one side of dough and fold into 1” (2.5 cm) pleats, layered one over other. Stretch the two ends elongating the pleated dough. Roll up into spirals from one edge to the other. Tuck loose end underneath. Press gently with palm. Follow the same method for all dough balls. Cover with a damp cloth. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Dust rolling board with flour. Roll each spiral into a circle 3½ -4” (8.8-10.2 cm). Lightly dust dough to prevent sticking.
- Heat skillet on medium high. Place rolled dough onto skillet. Cook for 18-20 seconds or until dough turns darker and small bubbles break the surface. Flip. Cook for 18-20 seconds. Brush ghee/oil on surface. Flip. Cook for 15-18 seconds or until golden brown spots appear on the surface. Flip. Repeat. Remove from skillet when both sides are cooked.
- Serve hot with a side of curry, chutney or raita.
- While pleating, substitute 1 tsp (5 mL) of flour with a choice of spice blend like chaat masala or pani puri masala, sugar or herbs to add variations.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.