Lamb Kofta Curry
- Prep Time: 10 minutes + 1 hr. for marinating
- Cook Time: 45-55 minutes
- Serves: 4-6
- Freezing: excellent
Be the first to rate this recipe
Meatballs and sauce have always been a symbol of comfort food. This Indian version packs the same comfort with a mildly spiced curry.
- ½ lb (227 grams) ground lamb
- ½ cup (125 mL) mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Thai green chilies, chopped
- ¼ cup (50 mL) cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp (50 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh onion paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ginger garlic paste
- 1½ cups (325 mL) tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Kashmiri lal mirch
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) coriander powder
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) garam masala
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup (50 mL) cashews, blanched in ½ cup (125 mL) water, ground to paste
- ¼ cup (50 mL) heavy cream
- 1½ cups (325 mL) water
- Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl. Use hands to blend everything well together. Cover. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place meatballs on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes until nearly cooked.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan at medium high heat. Add onion paste. Sauté for 8-10 minutes until golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Stir. Cook for 20-30 seconds. Add tomatoes. Stir. Cook for 8-10 minutes until reduced to a loose paste.
- Add ground cumin, turmeric, Kashmiri lal mirch, coriander powder and garam masala. Stir to mix well.
- Add cashew paste. Stir. Add heavy cream. Stir. Add salt. Stir in water.
- Simmer at medium heat until gravy comes to a boil, about 5 minutes.
- Add meatballs. Stir. Cover. Simmer at medium low for 5 minutes until meatballs are cooked.
- Uncover. Continue simmering for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Serve hot with steamed rice or naan.
- Substitute potatoes with cooked white rice to mix with meatballs. It helps keep the meatballs soft.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.