- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
- Serves: 3-4
- Freezing: excellent
Be the first to rate this recipe
This combination of spinach, lamb and spices is simply irresistible!
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) mustard oil
- 6-7 cloves, coarsely crushed
- 3-4 black cardamom, coarsely crushed
- 3-4 green cardamom, coarsely crushed
- ½ cinnamon stick, coarsely crushed
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cumin seeds
- ½ cup (125 mL) onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp (2 mL) turmeric
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) coriander powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb (454 grams) leg of lamb, boneless, cut into 1” (2.5 cm) chunks
- 3 cups (750 mL) fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- Heat oil in thick bottom pan on medium high heat. Add cloves, black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon and cumin. As they sputter add onions.
- Sauté for 3-5 minutes on medium heat until golden. Add ginger garlic paste. Sauté for 20-30 seconds.
- Add turmeric, coriander, garam masala and salt. Stir.
- Add tomatoes. Stir. Cook for 8-10 minutes on medium high heat or until mixture reduces to a loose paste.
- Add lamb. Stir. Cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally scraping the sides and bottom.
- Add spinach. Mix well. Cover. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Uncover. Stir well. Continue cooking for 8-10 minutes until lamb is fully cooked.
- Turn off heat. Serve hot with choice of naan, roti or rice.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.