- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Freezing: excellent
Be the first to rate this recipe
Every Indian family has its own version of this popular dish. No matter what the variation, it’s one easy way to make kids love vegetables.
- 2½ tbsp (37 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil
- 1 pinch asafetida
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cumin seeds
- ½ cup (125 mL) red onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp (2 mL) turmeric
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garam masala
- 2 tbsp (30mL) water
- 1 lb (450 grams) cauliflower, washed and cut into 2” (5 cm) chunks
- 10 oz (285 grams) potatoes, peeled, washed and cut into 1½” (3.75 cm) pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Add asafetida and cumin seeds. As they sputter add onions. Sauté on medium heat until golden brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Sauté for another minute. Add turmeric, coriander powder, salt and garam masala. Stir. Add water. Mix. Turn heat to medium low. Let simmer for 1 minute.
- Add cauliflower and potatoes. Stir and toss everything together. Cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and continue cooking for another 8-10 minutes scraping the bottom and sides until vegetables are cooked through.
- Turn off heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with roti and a side of dal.
- Soak cut potatoes and cauliflower in lukewarm water to prevent them from browning.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.