- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 3½-4 hours
- Serves: 6
- Freezing: excellent
Be the first to rate this recipe
Chargrilled eggplants bring a smoky intensity to this dish. Mild spices make it delicious.
- 2 medium sized eggplants (approx. 2 lbs/908 grams total in weight)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 Thai green chilies (adjust according to taste), chopped
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin seeds
- ½ cup (125 mL) red onions, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) coriander powder
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1½ cups (375 mL) tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup (50 mL) water
- ¼ cup (50 mL) cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Make shallow slits on the eggplants. Press whole garlic cloves and chilies in the cuts. Wrap eggplants individually with aluminum foil. Place on lower rack of oven. Bake for 3-3½ hours until fully cooked.
- Pull out eggplants. Remove from foil, let cool for 10 minutes. Use tongs to lift eggplant. Drain any liquid dripping out.
- Place roti roasting rack on direct flame of a stove. Place eggplants on top and roast for 5-8 minutes each side, until skin is charred. Use tongs to flip.
- Wrap in foil. Cool for 10 minutes. Peel skin and head off. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan over medium high heat. Add cumin seeds. As they sputter, add onions. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, until soft and golden.
- Add turmeric, coriander, garam masala and salt. Stir. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Stir. Add tomatoes. Cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until soft and it forms a loose paste.
- Add cooked eggplants. Mash everything together with masher and mix leaving no big lumps. Add water. Stir. Simmer on medium low heat for 5-8 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with choice of roti, paratha or yellow dal and steamed rice.
- Caution: Cooking on open flame can be potentially dangerous. Maintain a safe distance from the flames while roasting the eggplant.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.