- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: about 15-20 minutes
- Serves: 4
- Freezing: excellent
Tiring day and still need to prepare dinner? Try this quick recipe, smile and enjoy a tasty meal with the family.
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black mustard seeds
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) split urad dal, skinless
- 2 dry red chilis, whole
- 1 lb (454 grams) string beans, washed, cut into ½”(1 cm) long pieces
- Salt to taste
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) fresh grated coconut
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Add asafetida and mustard seeds. As they sputter, add urad dal and red chilies. As they sizzle, add beans. Cover and cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes until beans begin to soften.
- Uncover. Continue cooking 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until cooked.
- Add coconut. Mix well.
- Turn off heat. Serve hot with rice and rasam.
- Use desiccated shredded coconut for the recipe if fresh is not available. Add coconut with beans and follow same cooking instructions.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.