Mirchi Ka Salan
- Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-35 minutes
- Serves: 3-4
- Freezing: excellent
Be the first to rate this recipe
Complex and simply different. Try this recipe for the traditional dish. The result will make you feel like a professional chef.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) + 2½ tbsp (37 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) onions, chopped
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) peanuts, skinless + 1 tbsp (15 mL) for garnish (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) shredded coconut + 1 tbsp (15 mL) for garnish (optional)
- ½ tsp (2 mL) mustard seeds
- ½ tsp (2 mL) nigella
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) fenugreek seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) curry leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ginger garlic paste
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) coriander powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garam masala
- ½ tsp (2 mL) turmeric
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) tamarind soaked in ½ cup (125 mL) water
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 6 banana peppers, slit, seeded, and pan fried till golden
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in a thick bottom pan on medium high heat. Add onions. Sauté for 5-8 minutes until golden brown.
- Add peanuts. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously. Add sesame seeds. Cook for 1 minute stirring continuously. Add coconut. Cook for 1 minute stirring continuously.
- Turn off heat. Cool completely. Grind into paste. Add 2-3 tbsp (30-45 mL) water to aid smooth grinding. Set aside for later.
- Mash tamarind in soaking water until forms thick pulp. Strain through a strainer or mesh cloth. Collect clean pulp in a bowl/container. Discard shells, fibers or seeds.
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in a thick bottom pan on medium high heat. Add mustard seeds, nigella, cumin and fenugreek seeds. As they sputter add curry leaves. As they stop sputtering add ginger garlic paste. Sauté for 20-30 seconds.
- Add coriander, garam masala, turmeric and salt. Stir.
- Add prepared onion paste. Stir. Cook for 1 minute on medium heat.
- Add tamarind mixture. Stir. Add 2 cups (500 mL) water. Bring it to boil, 5-8 minutes.
- Line peppers in single layer. Cover. Simmer on medium low heat for 5-8 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Garnish with coconut and peanuts if preferred.
- Serve hot over rice.
- Soak tamarind in water for 30-45 minutes. Use hands to crush and mix pulp with soaking water. Strain through thin cloth or sieve. Discard waste. Use as required.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.