Khasta Matar Ki Kachori
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Makes: 8
- Freezing: not recommended
Be the first to rate this recipe
Bring a plateful of piping hot kachoris to the table and see how fast they disappear!
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin seeds
- ½ cup (125 mL) onions, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) green chilies, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coriander powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1½ cups (375 mL) frozen green peas, thawed
- 1½ cups (325 mL) Golden Temple® Durum Atta Flour Blend
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ajwain
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil + 4 cups (1 L) for deep frying
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan on medium high heat. Add cumin seeds. As they sputter, add onions. Sauté on medium for 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add green chilies, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Stir. Add green peas. Stir. Cover and cook on medium high for 2-3 minutes. Uncover. Reduce liquid if any, cooking for 1 minute, scraping the sides and bottom.
- Turn off heat. Let rest until completely cool. Divide into 8 parts.
- Combine ingredients for pastry in a large mixing bowl. Rub well between palms to confirm even mixing. Slowly add water. Knead for 5 minutes to form smooth but firm dough. Cover with damp cloth. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Knead dough for 1 minute. Divide into 8 parts.
- Lightly oil rolling board and rolling pin. Roll dough ball into 1½ -2” (3.8-5 cm). Place one part filling in the center. Bring the edges together. Pinch in the center to seal. Gently press between palms. Repeat for rest of the dough and filling.
- Heat oil on medium low heat to 300˚F (150˚C).
- Completely submerge kachoris in oil. Slowly fry them for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally until golden brown.
- Serve hot with spicy chutney.
- Try different variations like dry urad dal filling, spicy boiled potato filling or sweet mawa filling.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.