- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Makes: 4
- Freezing: not recommended
Be the first to rate this recipe
It’s difficult to eat just one! Try these humble-looking sliders and you’ll end up asking for more.
- Vada Pav:
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil for deep frying + 3 cups (750 mL) for deep frying
- ½ tsp (2 mL) mustard seeds
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cumin seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coriander seeds, whole
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ginger paste
- ½ tsp (2 mL) turmeric
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) Thai green chilies, chopped (adjust according to taste)
- 2 cups (625 mL) mashed potatoes
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup (175 mL) chickpea flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) water + extra if needed
- 8-10 pav, sliced into two
- Green Cilantro Chutney:
- 1 cup (250 mL) cilantro, chopped
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) Thai green chilies, chopped
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) fresh garlic
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin seeds
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 6-8 Thai green chilies, whole
- Heat 1½ tbsp (22 mL) oil in a thick bottom pan on medium high heat. Add mustard, cumin and coriander seeds. As they sputter add ginger paste. Sauté for 20-25 seconds on medium heat.
- Turn off heat. Set aside to cool. Divide into 8-10 parts. Make balls.
- Combine chickpea flour, water and salt in a large mixing bowl. Batter should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Heat oil for deep frying at 350˚F (175˚C).
- Dip potato balls in the chickpea batter. Fry until golden, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove. Drain on paper towels.
- Grind chutney ingredients together into smooth paste. Add 1-2 tbsp (15-30 mL) water to help grinding.
- Make small slit of chili lengthwise. Pan fry in 1 tsp (5 mL) oil for 15-20 seconds.
- Place one vada between two parts of dinner rolls. Top with chutney. Enjoy with fried green chili.
- Roast ½ cup (125 mL) shredded coconut, 2-3 cloves of garlic, 2 tbsp (30 mL) cayenne pepper. Grind into dry blend. Serve with vada pav.