- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Makes: 4
- Freezing: not recommended
Besan or chickpea flour is transformed into an amazing snack in just a few minutes!
- 1 cup (250 mL) chickpea flour
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Crisco® Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) mustard seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) green chilies, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh grated coconut
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cilantro, chopped
- Whisk together first five ingredients in a sauce pan. Make sure no lumps are formed.
- Slowly cook the batter on medium-high for 8-10 minutes, whisking continuously. Cook until batter thickens to a paste and leaves sides of the pan.
- Turn off heat. Divide into two parts.
- Use the back of a spatula to immediately spread paste on back of 9x11” (23x28 cm) baking sheets in thin uniform layer. Let cool for 5-8 minutes.
- Cut khandvi lengthwise into 4 strips about 2” (5.1 cm) wide. Lift one end. Roll up individually. Place on a serving dish.
- Heat oil in a tadka/tempering pan on medium high heat. Add mustard seeds. As they sputter, add chilies.
- Turn off heat. Pour evenly over khandvi. Garnish with grated coconut and cilantro. Serve as an appetizer.
- To check for doneness, spread a spoon of chickpea paste on baking sheet. If it dries firm then it’s done. Otherwise cook for a couple of minutes more.
- ©/® Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. or its affiliates.